Help page : how to use this site on jazz or music improvisation and FAQ
A smart plan to navigate this website and starting studying music improivisation
- If something is not clear, write a comment on this website .
- Learn all major and minor scales
- Learn all chords ( Major, dominant, minor, half diminished and diminished) with their inversions.
- Learn their function (degree) in every key. (For example C7 is V degree in F maj key, F min key; IV degree in melodic minor key and VII in natural minor key).
- Study melody building chapter.
- Improvise on a standard or a song playing JUST chordal notes, as you like.
- Improvise using the melody building suggestions
- Study music rhythm and swing
- Study phrasing
FAQ : How can I learn improvisation?
You have to know music harmony, transcribe solos, listen great improvisors.
- How do I start?
You can start to study major and minor scales and all chords in every key. Then begin to improvise using just chordal notes, then use the melody building concepts.
- What is the most important thing to learn improvisation and to improvise?
The most important thing to improvise is knowing the melody building concepts.
- How long does it take to play good improvisations?
It depends on how much you study but I think at least 10 years.
- What is a chordal note?
Chordal notes are the first four tones of a chord ( For example D7 : D, F#, A, C)
- What is the key concept?
The scale I can use on a chord depends by the key in which is the chord in that moment! (If I find Dmin7 in Bb major key I must use on Dmin7 the Bb major scale that is D Phrygian mode. If I find Dmin7 in F major key I must use on Dmin7 the F major scale that is D Eolian mode, and so on.)
- What is the most important concept in rhythm?
The most important concept in rhythm is emphasizing the upbeats or offbeats. Do not stress downbeats.
- What are wrong notes in improvisation?
Wrong notes are not-solved tensions.
- How can I solve a tension?
After a tension (in general) you have to play a chordal note close to it.
Resources on the Art of improvisation
I have published other sites about jazz piano improvisation and music theory. Now I am working to publish live piano videos and other music albums.